5.000 £ for mastering to fck up your sound.

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Von_Steyr, Feb 5, 2017.

1. paraplu020

paraplu020 Banned

No way, in 2017 u can achieve everything ITB if done correctly and 'normal' listeners wouldn't hear no difference. So business wise, that's all that matters. The people eventually paying for it being happy. Unless you're an audiophile and want to pay premium prices for a 5-10ish pro cent improvement, that's cool n all, but dont be fooled, ITB is very powerful, used correct it CAN match up. My 2cent

2. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

Might as well just do all painting with color pencils and all sculpture with chainsaws then i guess, while we are at it...
    Hell, let's just make all feature films with iphone cameras as well!
    Fuck art, all that matters is the money right?
    No need to be proud of what you create!

3. dashfiss

dashfiss Kapellmeister

4. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Listen to
    "Soul Ballet - 2019" album, mastered at Sterling Sound. Highs are tooooooooooooooooo haaaaaaaaaaaarsh, obviously track 01

5. Greggers

Greggers Kapellmeister

so much confidence. can we hear at least one song you wouldn't let manley-less engineers pay you to master? it better be real good.

6. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

Mastering is simply tailoring your mixes to best suit the delivery medium. No more, no less.

Vinyl is probably one of--if not the most--nuanced and specialized of all forms of mastering because the properties of vinyl reproduction change as the playing time changes. And of course the limitations of bass response and jumping out of grooves and all that. The RIAA curve is a form of mastering, in a sense, although I'm not sure people look at it that way because it's an in-built standard.

You could view the inclusion of Dolby encoding for cassette as mastering as well, but again, it's a standard and not something requiring "artistic" choices due to source material variance.

I would argue that mastering these days is mostly seen as dealing with perceived loudness because that's the primary limitation of the digital medium--lack of headroom. Of course it's all stupid due to the extremely low noise floor of digital, but...

An additional concern with modern mastering is minimizing lossy data compression artifacts.

It seems that a lot of people think of mixing as simply getting instrument balance correct, and mastering as the finishing touches that make the mix shine. I would argue against that viewpoint. If you're putting your 2-bus through an SSL 4000 compressor regardless of whether it is going to CD, tape, vinyl, or MP3 then that's just mixing. Not everything on your 2-bus is mastering, but it seems that's the way people see it these days.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

See, that's a nice definition of mastering, but it doesn't comply with the rest of explanations about mastering I've heard. It seems like everyone, including professionals, have their own individual definition of mastering that varies widely. See the pillocks in this thread talking about expensive eqs and compressors.

I know that the practice started by cutting vinyl, but once we moved to other formats, it got completely jumbled.

Here's an interview with the mastering guy at Finnvox, who mastered thousands of professional records. He says that his "mastering training" lasted only three days, lol.

8. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

I know an engineer who made 1500 EU for inserting a low cut on a manley.

First I thought it was stealing, but he actually granted his client a service,
    his master was selected by that client who had selected several mastering services/engineers.

9. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

this is a really interesting thread.
    enjoyed watching all the interviews
    :like:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

thats almost all of beatport and all the garbage pop out there.
    but who/what to blame? probably smartphones, because people want to listen with smartphones while working through the city(we all have seen these douchebags, playing their crappy music out loud on smartphone speakers).
    who else to blame? well i think the content of the music, while rock, jazz, you name all these classic style tend to love dynamic range, EDM doesnt, its all about the drop nothing else and how hard it hits you - so your mastering can be sausage like, nobody will care, because only the drop counts.

in some way mastering went hand in hand with garbage music of this generation.

stopped bothering listening to newer music since now for like 4 years or so?

11. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Sometimes less is more.:cool:

12. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

lol at the responses. If you think isotope offers the same punch and resonance to a mix then manley massive eq's, and variable limiter/compressors. You more then likely shouldn't be mixing anything professionaly anyways. A simple 1db increase is so much more audible and resonate on a massive and eq cuts create so much more headroom carving out less dbs without destroying the sounds or vocals integrity compared to software vsts. I'm not knocking software mastering tools, just pointing out that there's a reason why professional ME's use dedicated hardware for mastering.

13. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

I love watching his videos. Very informative. If you're a serious ME I'd recommend you getting dedicated hardware as well as tons of different reference monitors.

14. Greggers

Greggers Kapellmeister

lol at you. show us your song, so much great and unique, you wouldn't let manley-less engineers pay you to master it.

give me a break. if your shit was worth 6000$ mastering EQ to master it, your ass wouldn't be here wasting his time flaming. you simply wouldn't have the time.

just another hardware snob detected.

15. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

Flaming? Why are you taking my opinion personally? I've stated multiple times that there's nothing wrong with software mastering tools. Just pointing out that professional MEs use dedicated hardware for a reason. Personally I could careless if you mastered your songs with a CB radio running through an apple 1. Also I can't afford those hardware rack units..lol I've just had the pleasure of witnessing trained MEs master songs quite a few times in person. I'm no snob, just informed from first hand experience

16. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Every style of music has its place and methods. Why hate one or another because of it?
    I myself like all music from classical to hardstyle, to jazz and death metal, and and have played or produced in many different sub-genres of music. And, I can respect and appreciate the methods and techniques used to make them.
    I laugh at the narrow and closed minded people that only like one type and swear everything else is bad. They cant see the the whole forest beyond the one tree that theyre stuck in. It says a lot about a person that only likes one style of anything. Biased and opinionated? Like saying "I only like breakfast, dinner and lunch suck and so do those that eat it." LoL

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Greggers

Greggers Kapellmeister

no no no, it's not what you said. don't do that. what you said is this exactly

and BTW, I'm still not hearing the song. I'm hearing bla bla. show the song or GTFO.

18. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

You've pretty much nailed it, and made me giggle in the process, too. :headbang: That's what mastering is [or should be?] about.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. Greggers

Greggers Kapellmeister

tick-tock, tick-tock... still no song worth of a 6 grand eq mastering and I'm already tired waiting.

you ain't got shit, man. you ain't got no songs and you better stfu with your snobbish comments.

or your songs are that awful I wouldn't master them with ozone even if you beg me after you pay me :D

you have so much arrogance. "pay him to master his song", "6 grand eq to master my songs or die". bitch please. those who are worth that much expensive gear, don't waste their time on Audiosex. they've got better things to do, like writing great songs worth on that manley eq, ssl x mastering and sufficient acoustic treatment. "pay him to master his song". give me a break. first time ever I'm hearing this kind of bullshit. you better lay off that crack you smokin'.

20. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

And this is the reason i respect and value your opinion.:mates: