49 or 61 keys?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by mrpsanter, Oct 13, 2021.

1. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

I'm not considering 88 keys as I don't plan on learning piano but thanks for the suggestion.

2. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Even if Maschine is NKS compatible, it would only make sense for some beats but not for using some synth like Diva for example.
    Also, if I was planning on buying a beat box, I would most likely go with the MPC One instead.
    Thanks for your insights.

3. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Copy/pasting some article links of the last two years is certainly informative but it doesn't prove that they are done yet.

Also, I was aware of the 2019 layoffs which are truly unfortunate.

Finally, if they were about to go broke, there would most likely be a big sale on their products but so far we have not seen such a thing.

4. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

@BEAT16, you just misunderstood what @SpyFx ✪ ✓ wrote ..and IMO needlessly reacted in a very offensive way.
    He meant: "..at least regarding the NI Komplete Kontrol S Mk2's.." (that mrpsanter was going for), if that makes more sense to you (I'm bad at English too, btw). The rest was just his personal opinion, like the rest of the thread where ppl are saying either that 12 keys is too much or that 88 keys is not enough.. ;)

Now, my personal thoughts:
    I would think twice before going for NI solution. Ofc there are pros like tight integration with their software. But this is IMO also the weakest point. It is like sort of a "dongle". I own (almost) all the NI stuff, but your MIDI controller should be fully functional even if they (as a SW company) disappear from the face of the earth tomorrow. Or your NI SW stops working. Just something to consider..
    Why not? Maschine loads Diva perfectly and then you can play it with any generic MIDI keyboard. In fact I second what @fiction mentioned above - Maschine and (any) keyboard controller is a perfect match. Maybe your Idea of combining MPC and NI keys would work similarly though. I just think Maschine mk3 is the best thing NI has come up with.. and I'm not even a beatmaker ;)

But at the end it is up to you to decide. :wink: We're all different. For instance - I don't like flashy screens on my keys lol

Edit: I have to admit, if you don't already own any NI/NKS controller then having their keyboard makes sense. The transport buttons and knobs are basically the same on all products..

--------
    I hope you don't mind if I borrow your thread and ask @SpyFx ✪ ✓ (or anyone else) whether they have any experience with that Kurzweil KM88. I was used to play Roland keyboards with the famous "joystick" to control pitch and modulation at the same time and miss that

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  5. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

@RobertoCavally You certainly have a point regarding Maschine but then buying it plus a non NKS controler would cost more than the single Komplete Kontrol keyboard.

Also it wouldn't be as integrated as the KK keyboard obviously and it's not even sure how practical it would be (comparing again with the KK keyboard).

Finally, you are right when saying that the KK keyboard won't be very useful if NI go broke but it's also true for Maschine I guess.

6. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

Yp, I edited the post. If you don't already have Maschine and you even think of getting the MPC later ..and use NI and NKS compatible SW - having at least one such controller makes sense.

IF you have Maschine HW and any MIDI KB - it is totally integrated (I have this setup). In fact, I don't really know what the transport buttons (Play, Rec, Stop, Tap,...) on a NI keyboard do. Do they control (just) the Maschine software? Ok, just checked a YT vid - you can control the transport of quite some DAWs. But it is not as immediate as Maschine HW/SW integration. So, I would check setup for your DAW.

As far as your question reg 49 vs 61 keys goes. If you don't play piano (I do, since I was 6yo), this will be your "controller" and it really doesn't matter. I can only play on keyboards with 88 keys. Not because I'd need them all all the time, but because of the "orientation". It's my instrument and I can play it without looking at it.. if you take an octave away, I'm lost.

Even then I don't see any reason not to take the 61 other than saving space. Also, Kontakt instruments heavily rely on keyswitches and that is sometimes a pain even on a 88 one. But maybe you could use the space for some other strange controller that would fit your workflow better and fuel your creativity. When you'll have all the right info, it will still be on you to decide my friend.. ;)

Ps
    When you fire up the Maschine (without first opening the software) it asks you if you wat it to operate in Maschine, Controller editor or MIDI mode. I guess it's the same for NI keyboards. So hopefully we wont be totally screwed :rofl:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. clone

clone Audiosexual

the Komplete Kontrol s49 opens to the midi config page.

8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I didn't say the company would go bankrupt either. When a company fires employees, it means they are running out of revenue. This also releases know-how and thus future viability.

It was all about why there won't be any new investments in new products. The existing products that bring money will continue to be supplied with new drivers. You have put the red pencil on a massive scale and merged areas to save costs.

Competition has also increased, the global economy is in decline, labor costs are rising, and raw materials are more expensive.
    Many customers have less money in their pockets because increased energy prices, increased rents, increased taxes, inflation (i.e. currency depreciation) significantly reduce the amount of money available.

In Germany, for example, gas has tripled, and petrol has also become more expensive at the filling stations.
    In short, they sell your products less because the potential buyers have less money in their pockets. In short the times are very uncertain for buying or investing.

Every company tries to minimize its costs and to do everything digitally as possible. Digital is cheaper.
    Example: Arturia - Prophet V, if you ordered that at the time, you received a package in the mail with a colored cardboard box, a plastic customer card, a bilingual manual and a DVD with cover.
    What do you get from Arturia today: An online download and an online PDF. Here we see the cost savings very clearly.

9. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

I read that @mrpsanter 's not interested in classical piano.
    However, half-weighted is better than nothing.
    When my real piano got dismissed, I used for quite a long time the SY-99 (76 slimmer than piano keys), solid keyboard (but not even slightly half-weighted), of course coming back to weighted (and pretty heavy keys) was a little hindrance, but I got recalibrated in few days.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

You are 100% wrong on this one unfortunately as there are many reasons why a company would fire some employees.

11. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Sorry, you have absolutely no idea about economics

12. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Coal prices have quadrupled in the international market over the past six months. I guess stuff will normalize next spring, but some companies will exploit the market in the winter.
    It is a fact that the pandemic resulted in global population becoming poor as fk while elites becoming even richer.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackkelly/2020/07/22/the-rich-are-getting-richer-during-the-pandemic/
    USA printing money will probably result in a massive financial recession.
    https://eu.usatoday.com/in-depth/mo...rs-save-economy-during-crisis-fed/3038117001/
    https://www.scmp.com/economy/global...ng-fund-deficit-poses-major-risk-2021-says-ex

This environment doesn't convey any good new for people that want to buy musical gear or rely on music as stable source of income.

13. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Thanks @ 23322332, finally someone with a perspective. Thank you for your illuminating contribution.

Inflation Expectations Come Unanchored: People Expect Red-Hot Price Increases to Eat Wage Gains plus their Lunch & Dinner
    https://wolfstreet.com/2021/10/12/i...o-eat-wage-gains-plus-their-lunch-dinner-too/

14. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Let's just say that you don't know me.

15. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Your answer is not an answer, you assert something without giving a reason. What they do is just very condensed and emotional. Try to formulate longer sentences. Then please tell me the reasons.
    No - we don't say. You said it. You turn your reality the way you like it. Now I'm supposed to get to know you too. Try to formulate more sentences. Stick to the topic if you don't know about it, don't answer or tell yourself I don't know. Please don't make such a remark as you don't know me at all, but go into the subject matter in terms of content. You are not communicating with me, you are simply making claims that have nothing to do with the subject of what I have written.

16. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

mrpsanter and BEAT16 Are you both going to change this practical thread into a personal fight and or a socio-political thread? Really?

I hope not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Don't worry, I gave up on him.

18. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

Try craigslist if shops don't sell the right models.
    About the size, I was at a similar spot, 61 would work on my desk but 88 keys needed an additional keyboard stand, well I took the extra mile and it's well worth it :)

1. I have bought a 61 key controller for <100€ and a 88 key weighted model for <400€
    The 61 key controller is so bad that i never use it and that it's basically money thrown into the shitter. I'd say that's more expensive.

2. 61 to 88 keys isn't a big upgrade size-wise. Depends on the model ofc, the NI Controller is pretty bulky. But you could make that argument for anything, just go down to half an octave bro, you can even place your coffee mug on it :>

3. True! 88 keys weighted together with an 61+ unweighted keyboard would be ideal, I use a 3 octave xkey instead, suboptimal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  19. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Rock Star

This is basically your call, if price point isn't an issue, as it has to do with your workspace and practicality, more than anything. I play keys (and not just poking and fumbling about... ... well, not usually, :hahaha: ) and I have a 49 key, so it will suffice, but there are many days that I wish I had 61 keys, usually when I'm learning classical pieces, or have the classical chording/lead in nature, or when I'm using a Kontakt instrument--say, a Soundiron library--that has a patch with all of the percussion/drums laid out across more than 49 keys.
    I plan on getting a NI keyboard soon, hopefully, because of their semi-weighted keys, and when I do, I'll be grabbing a 61 key.
    Just my two cents... :shalom:

20. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual