40 Free Kontakt Instruments - MSLP Project

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigcat1969, Apr 19, 2014.

1. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

Well finished up the conversion process. I'll go back and do some fine tuning at some point, but pretty happy adding 40 instruments (of wildly varying quality) to the free Kontakt instrument range. Of course mostly I did it to mess with somebodies freebie list. Cheers :mates:
    [​IMG]

I've found some instruments I'm quite happy with.
    A flute with over 900 samples, 180 megs compressed. There are vibrato and non-vibrato modes with 3 velocity layers, round robin staccatos and more.
    A trombone with 650 samples, 84 megs, 3 velocity layers, staccato round robins, gliss, swells and more.
    A cello weighing in at 68 megs with 800+ samples and 3 velocity layers in sustain and staccato and more.
    The fully sampled Piano Grand Soft it has one soft velocity layer so it works nicely as an intimate piano.
    And for some of your assorted Idiophone needs (we all have them). A Marimba and Xylophone that are fully sampled with two velocity layers and mute layers and a Vibrophone with only 1 velocity layer but long, short, mute and bowed samples.
    Strum Acoustic and Electric guitars.
    There is also a collection of sampled toys including a fun noisy 3 layer toy piano, a melodica and a funky hippo harmonica.
    Also audio toys of less quality including lots of basses a fiddle and a banjo.

3. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Well done ... the fiddle could need a bit of tuning - especially the long notes! :wink:

4. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

Thanks Phloopy. I'd never tried tuning individual zones in Kontakt before so that was interesting. Take listen now and see if it is closer to in tune? Also I bumped up the volume a bit on some of the softer samples, so maybe a bit more volume consistency now? Of course now there is a whole new world of micro management open to me that i didn't know existed! Oh No! :wow:

5. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Yeah the tuning is much better now! The long notes isnt really that long .... any chance you could make loops out of them?

6. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

Hum, never tried loops before. You are really trying to stretch my knowledge base aren't you? Let me see what I can figure out, but it might be beyond my ability. Any Kontakt loop experts out there?

7. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

You have more use for this library if you can play really long notes - like in reality - and I think thats what its all about in Kontakt! :wink:

I have no insight in scripting matters in Kontakt, so you need help from another source!

Why be satisfied with the seconf best, if you can have the best?

8. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

Because people who are second best didn't just listen to a fiddle for 2 hours until their ears bled? :break: :wow: :grooves:
    See what you think first ever attempt at loopyness (well in this context).

Thanks Catalyst for making the links pretty.

9. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Improvements indeed, but if you play this version you´ll have an odd vibrato-like sound (sounds very synth) after a few seconds!

If a fiddle makes your ears bleed, I´ll suggest a trip to the mental hospital :rofl:

I´ve played fiddle since plus 35 years, so I know what Im talking about :wink:

Cheers and keep up the improvements!!!!!

10. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

That's the loop. :bleh:
    Hum any ideas on this I thought I dun good. If I make it longer it sounds like a sample looping from soft to loud repeatedly and if I make it shorter its just a tone.

11. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

12. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

Seriously anyone have any ideas on looping, I may well have gotten it wrong. Totally new to it.

Ok redid it after finding some did sound seriously crap. Tried shortening the loops to get some of the wah-wah sound out. Looped with xfade to make it smoother, any better?

I got some mail from a real pro. He basically said that looping takes a lot of experience to get right and that the MSLP stuff really isn't very good to begin with, so the end results aren't going to be that great even if I really did know what I was doing.

I put a little sort of disclaimer on the top post, so hopefully I'm not wasting too many folks time with this little experiment. Thanks for all the feedback Phloopy. Sorry I couldn't get it better for you.

13. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

MSLP Folk Violin Lofberg Looped with XFade is the absolut best try untill now!

Just one thing that bothers me ...... the deepest note you have on a violin is a G, and your version has the F a the deepest note!

Keep up the good work! :wink:

14. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

Thanks Phloopy. Had another go adding some sawtooth lfos and convolution reverb to spice things up. Thanks to FLWrd for the suggestions.

15. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Hmmm.... If you play the looped string for over 4 sec. it sounds like they totally freeze and the verb cannot camouflage that! Basically I think you´re entering very difficult fields when it comes to scripts/tweeks etc. in Kontakt!

Im impressed about your work, but I need to give you fair feedbacks or this makes no sense at all!

Respect! :wink: :wink: :wink:

16. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

I really appreciate your feedback! You would be surprised how tough good quality feedback is to get. Sorry if I sometimes come off as grumpy. I just get frustrated with myself and trying to make things work and not knowing how. My lack of musical knowledge would astound you, but part of the fun for me is all the learning.
    Good thread at the old rival board about looping and some very interesting points raised, some of which I actually understand.
    http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=409599
    Anyway I tried short loops and that didn't work so gonna try long loops and see if that works.

17. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

MSLP Flute Grbavac <------ this one is a HIT! :wink: Im sure you could do magic with this flute if you worked a little with it!

MSLP Cello Lofberg too ... but I think you should work with especially the pizz ... they´re are in different tempi so you cant play several notes at the same time!

18. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

Thanks for your thumbs up as always.
    I'll see what I can figure out with the Pizz.

19. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

Bump for finishing the base conversion process anyway with 40 instruments. I'm tired!

Complete List

Pretty Nice
    MSLP Flute Grbavac, MSLP Trombone Knutsson plus Ensemble, MSLP Cello Lofberg, MSLP Piano Grand Soft
    MSLP Marimba, MSLP Xylo, MSLP Vibro

Kinda Crappy... err I mean Fun and Retro
    MSLP Acoustic Guitar Chords, MSLP Electric Guitar Chords, MSLP Acoustic Lil Nylon, Eight MSLP Basses, MSLP Double Bass Lofberg, MSLP Mandolin Nillsson, MSLP Folk Violin Lofberg, MSLP Banjo, MSLP Sad Clarinet, MSLP Saxophone, MSLP Orchestral Percussion - includes Bass Drum, Timpani and Tambourine, MSLP Timpani Long Crescendo, MSLP Maracas, MSLP Jingle Bells

Sampled Toys
    MSLP Toy Baby Piano, MSLP Melodica, MSLP Toy Zither, MSLP Toy Zylo, MSLP Toy Marimba, MSLP Broken Toy Marimba, MSLP Recorder, MSLP Hippo Harmonica, MSLP Tropical Typhoon, MSLP Easter Eggs

Well over 10,000 samples and a gig compressed.

20. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

:wink: Respect! :wink:

21. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Hey bigcat here's a little something to remember when you get frustrated:
    Beethoven handled the violin awkwardly and preferred playing his own compositions instead of improving his technique. His teacher called him "hopeless as a composer." And, of course, you know that he wrote five of his greatest symphonies while completely deaf.

Albert Einstein did not speak until he was 4-years-old and did not read until he was 7. His parents thought he was "sub-normal," and one of his teachers described him as "mentally slow, unsociable, and adrift forever in foolish dreams." He was expelled from school and was refused admittance to the Zurich Polytechnic School. He did eventually learn to speak and read. Even to do a little math.

Stravinsky was run out of town by an enraged audience and critics after the first performance of the Rite of Spring. Later in life, he observed that "I have learned throughout my life as a composer chiefly through my mistakes and pursuits of false assumptions, not by my exposure to founts of wisdom and knowledge."

The first time Jerry Seinfeld walked on-stage at a comedy club as a professional comic, he looked out at the audience, froze, and forgot the English language. He stumbled through "a minute-and a half" of material and was jeered offstage. He returned the following night and closed his set to wild applause.