3k Computer and still dropouts and cpu Spikes - what am I Missing?

Discussion in 'PC' started by ThugLife, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Jazz-N-Stuff

Jazz-N-Stuff Platinum Record

just a reminder: both latencymon tools dont work with Win10.
    I went back to WIN7 and with Cubase i have NO problems to run heavy loads.(15 Omnispheres running parallel in Multitimbral Mode (8 per Omni is abt 120 Onmisphere2 running, incl FX and no drop outs).
    Also: CPU Performance is not really relevant, its all abt this here

Any 300$ + CPU will do the job. In my Computers i use RYZEN CPUS. Also 32GB RAM is a must (use only 16GB sticks).
    Hardcore users like Junkie XL run several servermachines with Vienna Ensemble pro with 96-128GB RAM and low CPU performance.
    The DAW must be "intelligent" to run all these parallel performance threads. Sorry, but i dont know, if FL is capable of this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. statik

statik Audiosexual

this is not always true, i've had a cpu that would go bonkers when it went to 43c (not sure if this was the exact temp, i do know the difference was 3c ) but was perfectly stable at 40c, the system would not freeze it would just go haywire

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

Latencymon do support Windows 10 however DPC Latency Checker do not. Important to update to the latest Latencymon

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. ThugLife

ThugLife Platinum Record

[​IMG]

5. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

Is all your memory the same type (same MHz) and from the same factory? Maybe you are all good since your channel is dual and rank is single. I'm not sure

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  6. Anam

Anam Newbie

Please make sure if you have got the latest version of Focusrite Control. I am using 'version 2.3.4'. My Audio Interface is 18i20.

It is working fabulously with Cubase Pro 10, huge orchestral template(5.1 surround), Win 10/64, on a Ryzen 1700x which is 0.3 Ghz less than your 8700k in base frequency to say the least.

Most of the times I get along well with buffer size 128/48Khz, even when mastering.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Turn off HyperThreading in UEFI?

8. ThugLife

ThugLife Platinum Record

You guys are so crazy :) Really, I cant say if this already was it but I followed @Paul Pi s instructions, set uefi to default and afterwards copied his settings like he told me to. I just wanted to do this as a first Step before the Upgraden process but afterwards i ran Latencymon and now it says my System appears to be suitable for handling real time audio. I opened a small orchestral project and it still says its suitable. The cpu While playing back and running Latencymon goes up and down on kontakt sometimes hitting 100% for like a ms but without Any dropout?
    Seems like a good sign but is this good now just because latencymon says so.
    I would love this to be True :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  9. G String

G String Rock Star

Tidy. Worthwhile updating all the other drivers from ASUS though.

Worth updating BIOS? Probably not, unless more issues show, or if one can be sure updates do more than add new chip compatibility.

No "Control" program with 2i2. ;)

• List
  10. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

Great news, that being said I have those CPU settings Paul Pi said to disabled in bios, enabled without any problems.

11. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

It is funny how people will tell you to do this, do that, and yet after you have done what they told you to do, and show the results everyone is silent. You have a compatibility problem between the BIOS and windows 10. That is the reason why it is showing Windows 8 instead of Windows 10. Another problem that you have is with the storport.sys. the values are way up! The storport.sys is a package that contains functions related to HDD and HDD related activity. You might have misconfigured some drive setting ,like not using AHCI.The configuration for the drive is usually a BIOS setting, so if it is wrong you will have to change it in BIOS. The chipset could be a culprit, too.

1. Have you gotten any Bluescreen? If you have, do you have the dumps
    2. Can you post a screen capture of the driver's page of Latencymon?
    3. Run the following command prompt as administrator and send me the files that will appear on your desktop by PM

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

Remember, troubleshooting is not doing 100 things at once. It is methodically done. In this case you are all over the place with suggestions from 100 members that are just trying to help you. Take a break. Don't do anything else. When you get back to it, concentrate on one area. Dont go from A to B to C. If you continue doing what you are doing you will end up buying a new computer.

12. Grandy

Grandy Member

hitting cpu 100% with kontakt or other intensive plugin or instrument has nothing to do with drivers or bios. you need to separate some things, first optimize system so that latencymon shows that you have no problems. second, optimise plugins or instruments. you cant load heavy library with full settings and expect that it uses 3% of cpu. if kontakt is the problem then you need to optimize kontakt. same thing with omnisphere or some other cpu intensive synths. if a plugin use 100% of your cpu maybe you need to upgrade or downgrade that plugin, maybe you need to increase buffer, maybe you need to update daw, if its kontakt then use PURGE, etc etc etc

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. G String

G String Rock Star

@pirate re LM misreporting OS..........release notes say:

"The following changes were made to LatencyMon 6.50 since version 6.00

Support for Windows 10

LatencyMon now supports Windows 10. Operating system information for the latest Windows versions is now properly displayed in the system information view."

Thug is using 6.00 according to pics.

Seems they have also fixed the report that "your processor is running at 1Mhz" :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. ThugLife

ThugLife Platinum Record

Yes my man, youre right with everything you say but nevertheless, I really appreciate every Single comment on this thread. So much care, I think I never had this in real life. Anyways, youre right back then I Remember i had a Problem related to ahci but I cant really recall what it was. I think it had something to do with my problems setting up the m.2 as Boot drive but I dont Remember 100%.

So I would have to go into bios and find the ahci settings and no matter what, I Set it to ahci if its Not already right?

1) no Luckily on this Computer i have not yet had a blue Screen as far as I can think of.
    2 ) for sure, here you go
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3. Thats what I will do now. Thank you man really :)

And yea youre right. After all these ideas and suggestions i had no idea where to start first and wanted to answer your questions too. Thats why I listened to everything, gave answers on missing Details because you obviously know more than me. And the First thing I tried was already a hit. And from there on I work my way forwards.
    I owe you a lot if we can solve this 100% without having to reinstall everything.
    And yea now I will go through everything systematically til we got it. And i can try thing after thing but i see the Same as you, the storport.sys is still heavy
    Oh yea and hell no the last thing I wanna do is spend another 3k on another computer hahaha it Took me so fuckin long to get my Hands on this thing :)

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. G String

G String Rock Star

I tried finding what the BIOS updates include, but ASUS are not telling. They seem to think "Improve system stability and performance" is sufficient. [One reason I have stopped using ASUS] and the chat person wanted the serial number of the motherboard......

There are a lot of updates, seemingly for more than compatibility with new chips.......so I would update (to the latest).

Check you are in UEFI mode?
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...ow-to-check-in-windows-if-you-are-using-uefi/

• Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. ThugLife

ThugLife Platinum Record

Yes but thats exactly what even Led me to the conclusion that my System has a Problem even though its Not performIng Incredibly Bad. Of course im with you, I can not Expect to load 8 instances of Kontakt with each 16 instruments and stay below 10 nor 20%. I never Expected that. But when I have an empty project im on 1. When I load my preset, which is 4 completely empty instances of Kontakt, a few drums and the midi outs, all assigned to go but empty and it goes up to 5-8% just by that. Then I load 6 instruments Into the First instance of Kontakt and purge everything for sure and so on... and im on Average cpu usage of 30%... what can i Expect from a really heavy project with 100 midi instruments? Thats what im about and when I bought those components I thought id be able to Do so. Not on 20% cpu but I think you get the idea.

@Daskeladden Sorry for the Late answer, forgot about that point. Yes im 99% sure memory is all the Same since I didnt mess with it. I ordered the Computer with everything built in except for the ssds and gpu.
    @G String so you mean i should still go for the updates and upgrades except for the uefi update?
    Wow thank you for all your Effort. I didnt know About this. Did it and it says bios Mode is UEFI

17. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Thanks for the info.:thanks: @ThugLife should run another test. Just to make sure, there is no BIOS issue.

18. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

it's important to update latencymon to 6.70 so it shows right figures

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  19. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@ThugLife download the latest version of LM and run the test again. Let it run for a while before stopping it. I want to make sure that the latest one is recognizing your system properly. Also send me a screenshot of every page. As you know some of the drivers that you have are causing problems. Those are going to be in need of replacement. Not an update. What I mean by that is to delete the driver and replace it with a different one. You need to start from the ground up. One driver at a time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  20. ThugLife

ThugLife Platinum Record

@The Pirate and @Daskeladden
    that's strange, cause i just downloaded it today and i thought this was the newest version but however, i will do that too.
    But first i will send pirate PM with the files you asked for.
    sorry, it took me a while to transfer them from there to there