32 or 64 bit vst in a 64 bit OS with 4gb RAM?

Discussion in 'Software' started by pelao, Jul 17, 2017.

1. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

64bit OS and DAW. This retains your ability to add and allocate more than 4gb ram. You can also upgrade your CPU later to better support your plugin usage.

2. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

On a notebook? Extremely Unlikely.

3. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

also very unlikely that a notebook with those specs could handle a memory upgrade. it sounds like a very basic machine. there's usually no upgrade path at all for a notebook that comes with a celeron processor.

4. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. Sylenth.Will.Fall

6. saltwater

saltwater Guest

this ultrabooks aren't good at anything, well, they save you a lot of power (2x 1.6 Ghz 4,5 w TDP) :wink:
    if you don't have a special use case where this machine does what you need
    you should do yourself a favor and get something else for Audio-work, theres really no juice at all in this

7. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

Show me where I mentioned anything previous in this thread about a desktop, fan, or psu? Rather than give your 2 cents to the OP you looked to refute something I said. Fact is.. he "can" upgrade the chip. And for you to continue on and start thowing in other variables he may or may not need.. it doesn't change the fact that what I said is true. There's no need to go fishing for the moon in the water from here on. Your initial reply was incorrect and unnecessary as well.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  8. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Actually, older notebooks like that could usually be upgraded with a better processor as they used to have sockets. Nowadays it is less likely for them to have sockets, unfortunately. :( He would just have to look for a compatible notebook processor and get a 2 GHz or better 4-core for like $20 from e-bay or local ads. :wink:

But to remove the old one and put the new one in takes a bit of time and skill. On older Thinkpads it is easily done, but generally laptops can be a PITA to upgrade. RAM can usually be upgraded more easily. I'm being a bit vague on purpose because notebooks can be extremely different. I really like older IBM and Lenovo Thinkpads because they're very flexible and easily upgradeable [CPU, RAM, HD, ultrabay for 2nd HD]. Some models, like my Lenovo T410, have absolutely usable Firewire, too. :wink:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Sylenth.Will.Fall

I'm not here to argue, and if you cant tell the difference between a question and a statement then you aren't as intelligent as you like to believe you are.

10. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Do laptops work in the same way, as in are you saying I could stick an i7 chip in there? From a pentium

11. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Even if it's only to kep the "framework" until the next laptop (or desktop one) it makes sense to choose x64. That's why I use x64 Win in this shitty 2GB RAM I'm writing from lol

12. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

You can only replace the CPU with a better *same socket* CPU. Like, if your laptop has an Intel 478 socket, you can only upgrade with socket 478 CPUs, just like with a 478 socket motherboard. My Thinkpad T410 came with an i5 520M 2.4 GHz dual-core CPU which is very good as these chips run quite hot, so I didn't bother upgrading it. But there are T410s that come with 2.1 Ghz and slower CPUs and they can be upgraded to this i5 2.4 GHz. i7s of that time run too hot for my taste.

You can easily check which CPU you could upgrade your laptop with [if it has a socket] here: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-520M-Notebook-Processor.23749.0.html This is a link to my CPU and compatible CPUs, same BGA1288 or PGA988 socket.

If you don't know much about the PC hardware, it is better to consult somebody who does before doing anything, of course.

13. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

First OP was about 32 vs 64 bits VST only :wink:
    To me, as this computer is not "future proof", there is no problem running 32 bits VST in 64 OS/64 DAW NOW.

Of course, sooner or later, Kontakt and others will be x64 only. So you will need to keep your "old" plugin version. Not a problem to me : i run a bunch of "old" x86 only plugs. Never updated and even buggy, like Komplexer.

That's the usual barrier : need a new computer to run new OS to run new software...endless :wink: