24bit/48khz nightmare.

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by swing, Jan 21, 2014.

1. swing

swing Newbie

Hi there, I´m finishing my track for the album, and as always I´m getting lovely surprises :snuffy:

Here´s the thing:
    - All the arrangement was done in FL10, except by a few guitar lines and some vocal takes recorded in PT8LE with my Mbox Mini.
    - In PT I work in 24bit/48khz, that´s the main setting I´m asked for when some jobs appear or when I write and record with other artists.
    - Now, I want to render every individual instrument from my FL session and combine all the stuff in a PT session for mixing and finish -hopefully- the track.

When exporting I figured out that I was working on 44100khz (that was the Audio FL setting, and I don´t remember have changed it :dunno:, maybe that´s the default state and it was reseted by accident). I changed it to 48 and now I´m getting some strange behaviors. I understand that changing the sample rate on audio results in some pitch changes, but I´m wondering why that´s happening just with some instruments and not others (not audio samples). Are some instruments locked to work at 44.1khz maximum??? There´s a way to change that and get the render at 48khz quality? Am I getting pitch changes also in my samples and I´m not noticing it? (I work with small noises, glitches and vinyl crackles) Or FL increases/compensates sample rates in a way I don´t know during the session? Please, if I´m missing something important in my settings that could allow me to export without troubles let me know. BTW I´m exporting raw sounds, no reverbs, delays or any effects are active, so it has to do with instruments processing/rendering or FL´s engine (and my ignorance :sad: ). I´ve hundreds of channels, all from different sources, so it´s a mess to export one by one changing the sample rate for testing and checking for weird changes in sound.

Thanks.

3. korgrog

korgrog Member

hello carl :bow: :dancing: :thumbsup:

this is just a guess ,but could it be buffer size causing the problem

Generally, the main advantage of a lower buffer size is lower latency
    - when rendering, you don't need this.

did you try changing the buffer size :dunno:

hope this helps :mates:

4. dreamsta

dreamsta Newbie

hi I have been there before but it does not seem to happen to me in fl 11 while changing from 48 to 44hz but then again maybe its when we work in 44hz then switch to 48, who know but here is a work around for you. use this neat a fast program called audio gate to convert your 44hz to 48hz after you track out just the sound that's giving you problems. search it at audioz. hope this helps man.

5. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Does the guy who requested you to work in 48khz saw your project or he's able to check it? Why don't you render the project normally, on 44khz, then import it in a converter or in your FL Studio, changing the sample rate of the project to 48khz and then render the file again and it will be 48khz.

6. take77

take77 Newbie

This should help with the main issue:

Export your FL stems as a whole in (e.g.,wav format) leaving the sample rate and bit depth AS IS.
    Pro Tools will handle the conversion to 48kHz upon import(prompting when necessary).
    In the import dialog,there is a Sample Rate Conversion(SRC)feature you can tick on to select from 44.1kHz to 48kHz when converting. (select tweak head/slowest for best quality)
    PT will detect when your imports differ from the project sample rate and allow for this option(this option is shaded out when not necessary).
    Or does PT8LE not have this feature?

And remember to employ a dither plugin on your master insert in PT during the final bounce to disk when going from 24bit audio to 16bit.(enable dither only during the bounce procedure not during playback & mixing).

Sample rate changes for your master file automatically occur based on your bounce to disk specifications.

Hope this helps with the main issue anyway.

7. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

Yes, exporting it into 48khz will affect some non audio plugins (instruments) , more older ones than newer ones, but chances are it's altering the pitch of the audio samples too, its only a semitone or so, so is hard to notice unless the audio samples you are using are pitched.
    The main issue i had with that back in the day was that the exported audio will actually be shorter because of the pitch up and the bpm of the tracks you export will be messed up.

The suggestion above will work fine though, export it AS IS, and let the protools resample it on it's end.
    Next time, start the FL project in the same file properties as the end required result, and there will not be any more problems.

8. swing

swing Newbie

Yes, it seems to be a problem with some VSTIs. Everything is sligtly out of tune and the sum of so many tracks is a mess. :(
    Never happened before... that´s why I´m surprised. It´s difficult to find the problematic ones.
    I use to simply drag samples and stuff to FL and never had this issue, sometimes you know the source and the sample rate, and sometimes not, but never noticed such pitching weirdness. Doesn´t FL maintain the pitch -making some sort of conversion- when working like that? I´ve some sampler instances also in my session (Kontakt with Sample Modeling stuff / BFD loaded with Barressi stuff) and now I´m wondering if the samples are also affected.
    Exporting at 44100 and converting the tracks to 48 after could work, but it would be nice to know when it´s needed or not. :dunno:

9. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Some VSTs freak out or are ignorant when you instantiate them at 44k and then change the SR to 48k.

There may also be different ways to instantiate a VST in your daw depending. (ie, from scratch or by duplicating state)

Some VSTs may lie about their PDC at different SRs,

etc.

10. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

:snuffy: :snuffy: :snuffy: Why so much mess when you can actually leave the bounced master as 44khz as is, then import it in a empty 48khz project and render it again :snuffy: , so the master file will be 48khz in the end(to be able to satisfy your clients, because perceived difference in quality your audience won't be able to hear it).
    Even if they want the stems, you can bounce all the stems as 44khz then you can load them into a empty project that is set on 48khz, then you render the stems again so they will be 48khz separatelly. It's just a project bro, not a whole album, so don't let it be a pain in the ass. :mates: Good luck!