2017: Best Mac for under $2000 (for audio recording)

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by tommyzai, Jan 26, 2017.

1. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

All the this vs that arguments aside . . . I'm discouraged. The last time I bought a Mac was easy. In 2011, I got good bang for the buck. Now? My choices STINK!

1. Hackintosh (big ugly box that I have to buy piece by piece and assemble. God help me if there is any soldering)
    2. PC/Windows (I would rather quit music).
    3. Old MacBook Pro (that would be depressing)
    4. Used Mac Pro (powerful, but have you seen those monstrosities?)
    5. New iMac (probably my best option, but $2100 for a usable configuration).
    6. New Mac Mini (i5? I had an i7)

HELP!!! Yes, I know there have been many comments, but I'm left wanting.

2. btc1750

btc1750 Member

I encourage you to quit music, wholeheartedly :)

3. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

Thanks btc1750, this thread has really helped me. I started off excited to buy a new Mac and resume my music career, and now I'm saving $2000 and have a lot of free time on my hands that I would have wasted on music. ;-0

Has ANYONE on here bought a new Mac? If so, what did you get?

4. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

When I make music the last thing Im concerned about is the looks and make of the hardware. Its all about the vibe and aesthetics of the artform, not the box that processes it all. IMHO
    Now maybe if I was opening a recording studio it might be different, having clients with a preconceived notion of how a mixing/recording room is supposed to look.
    But for my home studio, if it works its good enough for me.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  5. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

a lot of dongles probably, lol

6. recycle

recycle Guest

7. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

Yikes!! $2,799.00? I have every right to whine! I'm starting to understand the Hackintoshers. I am concerned about the box . . . if it's too big I won't have room for my guitar; if it's too big and ugly, my girl will evict me and my gear.

8. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

9. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

10. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

I'm starting to think the OP is Steve Faoki

11. btc1750

btc1750 Member

No, he is just a 13 year old kid
    please be kind to him :)

12. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

My question what's the quality of Mac has been ignored, only answer was USB is better, but it is not a reason somebody should pay twice to have mac USB quality. On pc I had no problem with usb.

So same question, but another way of asking:
    If I buy mac with same gear inside as pc has and pay twice or three times more money for that, will I have twice or three times more benefit of Mac in comparison with pc and will be twice or three times more happy of buying it? Please, no answer like usb are better there.

My wife had iPhone 4s and 5s, don't know what is the benefit of it, because there are much more problems, limitations than with much less android. Even cheaper androids have more and better stuff. Apple is a brand you pay for. See no point of it, only "понты и выебоны"

13. kostovas

kostovas Kapellmeister

Man these Mac''s seem to be so slow. I mean wt-actual-f?

With £1000 you can get top spec 7th generation stuff or go 6th genration with z170 chipset and build your self a powerfull hackintosh for less than $1000.

14. fritzm

fritzm Producer

Stability
    3 year warranty for very little cost that will replace anything in the computer
    Parts that are tested and work well together
    Resale, Resale, Resale value
    No headaches

I have a new 27"iMac 4 ghz 32gb Ram - roughly 3k - fast, no issues, just works, period.
    It is not the fastest machine on earth, but it does everything I need quite well

I mainly see reluctance from users Not from the U.S. That is understandable. But here, Macs are common place, especially in music studios, schools, and composers homes.

Sure, I can build a really nice Warmoth Strat with the best parts available, but I would still wish I had bought a real American Fender Strat. Especially if I ever wanted to sell or trade it.

To the OP, you pay for what you get. Even if it is simply peace of mind.

And processor speed is really overrated when it comes to home music production. I do 100 track orchestral mockups ALL the time with no hiccups on my machine.

Anyway, do what you want. I'm not a fanboy either way. I have just had good experiences with Macs and not so good with past PC builds.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  15. cyberfunk

cyberfunk Member

I highly recommend a used MacBook Pro. Ebay is your friend! I have a Mid 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro i7 2.7 Ghz 16GB RAM in MINT condition that I bought for around $800 and I could not be happier. I upgraded the HD to a 1TB OWC Aura SSD for $400 and this baby flies! It worked well with Logic X and I just finished up my latest track in Pro Tools 10. I recently switched to Pro Tools 12 and love the crisp clean display. One of the cool features of MacBooks is if you'd like to try out Windows software you can run BootCamp and have the best of both worlds. On the PC side it's much more difficult to run MacOs if you don't want to build a Hackintosh. Mac's are more flexible and easier to setup in that regard IMHO. I love my MacBook!

16. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

No it's not "nasty" what Avenel said. Apple corporation is crap. Why is it so hard to understand that? Every corporation is a crap as it undermines even the capitalism that it relies on. Therefore corporations are even bad for all of you capitalists out there, yet you don't get it poor sods.

17. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Don't fanboi, mate. Having an Apple myself it becomes very expensive when something goes wrong, and the "geniuses" are idiots in disguise. I will never ever buy a Mac again as it is so expensive, only second hand. I like the OS-X.

18. fritzm

fritzm Producer

Yeah, I was a Genius for 3 years. Yes, we are all idiots. I have an A+, MCSE, and all Apple Hardware/ software certs, and a Masters Degree in Music Composition from UNT (one the premier universities in America). I am a professor teaching Music Industry at a University here in Stupid ole America, which everyone knows produces crap music. Yes, we are all dumb asses here in the U.S. If only we were just half as smart you.
    I am certainly glad you have set us all straight. I will mosey on back to my crap Mac and try to write some more crap music (mate).