2 versions of Kontakt with different buffer settings

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by zero-frag, Apr 1, 2015.

1. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

Hello everyone,

Here's the deal: I'm planning on acquiring an SSD drive (as big as I can afford) for my main orchestral libraries so that I can significantly reduce the RAM usage and shorten loading time.

The problem is that SSD drives are still so expensive, I can't afford a 3TB one so I'll have to keep some libraries on the old SATA drive.

The issue:

In Kontakt, if I lower the buffer settings. It applies it to ALL instances of Kontakt. So my SSD libraries will load and work fine (and use less RAM). However, the ones on the old hard drive will get all choppy because the buffer settings are too low for a SATA drive to handle. Kontakt won't let me change settings on a per-instance basis.

So my question is this: Is it possible to create 2 "installations" of Kontakt so that one can be configured to be optimized for SSD, and the other one not?

Thanks

3. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

hmmm, i don't think so.... I use Kontakt AU legit, and in ableton (thanks to their having a separate VST folder), I run Kontakt K VST(even a different version from the AU, 5.4.2 vs. 5.4.3 or whatever, .. but they share the same memory server configuration and preferences as far as I can tell. If I change buffer or preload or libraries on one, it reflects in the other.... I hear what you are saying and wanting... This year I recently quadrupled my ram from 8 to 32gb, so I guess loading more into ram helps, but with the larger orch libs (spitfire etc), it simply won't be enough I would imagine.... are you using 64bit in DAW or using memory server?

Good question though, perhaps KontaktNinja has a better response then I, i'm sure he does in fact! :)

4. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

There can be only one running installation of Kontakt per system. There is, however, a solution in linking two or more computers with Kontakt installed, and samples running respectively through each.

Some questions:

Are you talking about using an external drive (SSD) for hosting your sample libraries?

When you refer to the "buffer" in Kontakt, are you referring to the Kontakt Memory Server?

Are you having Kontakt set the number of cores used, or are you letting your DAW set them automatically?

Some corresponding suggestions, which may or may not be helfpful:

A 7200RPM Firewire 800 drive usually suffices for an external library host. If your system and software is running on an SSD and you have your RAM maxed-out, that is.

The Memory Server in Kontakt is really useful, but one has to find that "sweet spot" in adjusting it, as with the buffer size of the DAW.

The less that Kontakt has to do and can be done by the DAW instead, the better. The DAW's settings, not those in Kontakt, should designate the number of cores used, and should also be the place to start with setting RAM buffer. Additionally, EQ, reverb, delay, modulation and saturation effects used in Kontakt are heavy on the CPU load; it's more efficient to add effects in the DAW and to leave the Kontakt controls "dry."

5. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

Good advice, I guess I finding the sweetspot in the memory server is something I'm not sure how to find..... :wink:

6. mag666

mag666 Kapellmeister

There is no need or benefit to using the Memory Server with the AU Plugin in Logic Pro 9 64bit or LPX

In fact doing so, can and often does cause issues relating to slow or poor performance of Kontakt within Logic.

The Memory Server is only of benefit when running under s 32bit DAW or OS, which was it's original purpose.

7. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

Yup, totally, it was a workaround for the 32bit 4gb footprint of the DAW's......I have recently turned it off using mostly 64bit version of Ableton stably.... but in the Kontakt preferences (I think only able to be addressed in standalone) allow for preloading settings etc... that is what I am more concerned about....

8. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

Yep ignore that memory server! Do not change the Default buffer from 60kb unchecked You'll have nothing but problems leave the Default settings where they are...

9. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

ok, this is getting closer to a question i asked prior, keep it 60kb "unchecked", doesn't it default to checked? thanks man...