2 dynamic mics for vocals?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Graves.Root, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Graves.Root

Graves.Root Ultrasonic

Hey, I was searching for new stuff in my youtube dashboard and I steped into this [...] The obvious question is: is there any advantage or better sound with two dynamic mics for recording vocals? have you ever tried something like this? Sorry if is a silly question, I really never saw this method in a studio.

3. The most likely reason for this configuration is that there are two sound crews each making their own copyright recording.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. recycle

recycle Guest

Agree. Or maybe at a certain point of the performance, the voice must have a drastic change of effects: at that point the sound engineer will just need to close one mic and open the other (a crude but effective method)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. The two diaphragms are roughly 1.5cm apart whish is perilously close to half the wavelength of 9-10kHz sound in air, so any kind of summing of the two signals is going to result in phase interference at the top end of the de-essing range. They've got to be feeding two different streams and not being brough back together, IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Edi

Edi Member

That might be d case Fudsey...I'm not like real expert, but sometimes ppl tryout various things, and they might even work...for them.
    An example: guitar player detunes his ''baby'', 'cause it sounds good or interesting, but the rest still play on tuned guitars..right? Right.
    Anyhow, it's cool to see ppl experimentin, if nothing else, just to cross those boundaries we've been tought.

7. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

usually run one straight, and the other through effects. You can drop them in and out dub style. Nathaniel Rateliff and Jack White both do this, Jack runs a vocal transformer. Rateliff ran special reverb and echo. Good ole' SM58's in the video.

8. tun

tun Rock Star

seems pointless to me. i could understand doing it if you have limited routing capabilities available, for routing through effects, but in a studio this is just more work than sending the same signal (as its the same mic) to two places and adding a slight delay (because those mics are not the same distance from his mouth).
    potentially useful for a live performance with pedals or something like that, but in a music video i suspect its just to stand out visually and get people talking, like we are :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

One of the mics could be there for the live-streaming.However, considering this was used by the producer as the actual recording, one of those mics is just kept as a unprocessed vocal track to be tweaked at a later stage of the production. I have seen 3 and 4 mics being used to record a vocal track but never positioned as in the video.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  10. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Maybe they saw some old Grateful Dead show where they use two mics (for noise cancellation) and thought it looked cool. :rofl:

Idk.It's pretty pointless to have two mics like that. Especially when one is pointing almost upwards.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

...because it looks cool, there is no real good reason to so. Another crew could easier just take a feed off of the board and any effects can work off a send. It's a kinda kewl tune with nice textures flowing together but there's thata funny funky micro-fone trip that's a happnin' goin' on.

What Baxter was saying in reference to the Grateful Dead was that there were two mics run out of phase, the singer, in this case Jerry Garcia singing into one and the other picking up the ambient noise from the stage thereby only letting the voice be heard and nullifying any potential feedback. A fellow named Stanley and the Alembic company created what the called the Wall which was the greatest, loud and distortionless sound system ever consisting of 600 speakers. It was huge and cost a fortune to create and deal with transporting it around. They only could do it for one tour I believe before it all became too much.

[​IMG]

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

It allows the vocalist to perform and sing and hear the effects. He controls it by which mic he gets closer to, depending on how he feels or wants to hear at that moment. Like a guitarist changing his effects as he plays.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. tun

tun Rock Star

that seems really dangerous to me.
    it certainly explains a lot about the obscure setup though. thanks for that! <3
    seems like a risky move though allowing dynamic changes to happen that could easily be performed in a controlled environment later down the line.