1st day: learning ABC

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by D3Viking, Jan 16, 2015.

1. D3Viking

D3Viking Newbie

Hi guys, as above, first day for me in this world, so i really know nothing and i'd like to know where and what to start with. So sorry for all the stupid questions that i will ask. Until now i just used used Kontakt to use my piano libraries and Logic Pro X to make small songs (mainly plugging in my guitar); so yeah, i'd like to explore IDM and Techno in general but i don't know what to do really. I read about Massive but i did not really understand what it is, if it is necessary and what's the differences between Massive and Kontakt (i'm sure this is a stupid question, i'm asking just because i see they're both NI; but i guess the former it's like a huge synth with the possibility of creating and downloading loads of sounds while the latter just reads libraries, or not?). But anyway, is there anywhere to watch tutorials or read the basics? Cause i don't really know how to make a beat, how to use a drum machine or a sequencer and what programs i need (if some VSTs or whatever).
    I know that being this general doesn't help you to help me, but as i said, this is it, first day, i know nothing.
    Thanks to everyone who will be so kind trying to help me, i'll really appreciate that.
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Thanks again, Edo.

3. Exidus

Exidus Rock Star

Hello and welcome into the wonderful world of making electronic music!

*Disclaimer:
    This will be a really short sketched thoughts on an endless theme
    :)

I guess you can begin reading and watching the AudioSEX Academy topics in this very forum. This will give you the basics of working in the digital realm.
    Along the way search google and youtube for DAW reviews, choose one and begin exploring it. Depends how far you want to go with making music, there are a lot of choices out there. My first choice was Cubase and I dont regret it as this is my current DAW as well. Its a VERY professional and complex system but for me the learning curve was pretty user-friendly (Also, alot of info out there - tutorials and webinars). Lately I began experimenting with Ableton and BitWig because of the Stage performance aspects of them. A lot of electronic producers are using AbletonLive or FL Studio. Note: These type of DAWs have slightly different workflow than sequencer-based Cubase and ProTools, for example.
    Again - you have to decide but in the beginning choose only one DAW and dive into it.

Sites that helped me alot over the years:
    This forum (been stalking it for quite some time) :)
    TweakHeadz Guides
    WikiEmedia Tutorials - some of these videos are posted in the AudioSEX Academy as well.

Edit: SCM Workshops - this is predominantly for psytrance but you will find some really good advices in general. Also, the guy is someone that I have deep respect for.

:wink:

4. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

@D3Viking:

Hi D3Viking. Some people get very unpolite when newbies ask beginner questions but not me. We all have been noobs once upon a time.
    To answering your question. Click the linke below. It contains all your answers to your questions.
    :

Link

:lmao: :mates: :bleh: :rofl:

5. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Not here. AudioSex is the perfect place for musicians of all skill levels.

Great answer Exidus. :mates:

Oh and [​IMG] To The First Step On The Start of A Long Journey.

6. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Welcome! Everyone starts both life and electronic music production the same way: in total ignorance. There is no shortage of good, knowledgeable people here. I'm sure you will be able to find some very useful information here.

7. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Oh and to answer your question Massive is a synthesizer that generates sound through the manipulation of wavetables. Kontakt libraries use samples to make their sounds. On AudioZ there is an essential section so check it out and pick some stuff you like. I will update it when I have time.

8. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

While Samplers like Kontakt or Sampler/Simpler in Ableton are creating their sounds via prerecorded audiofiles, use Synthesizers electronic circuits to produce sounds. They have oscillators which transform electrical current to audible noise/sound. And finally there are Romplers. More infos HERE.

Samplers: NI Kontakt, Plogue sfzorzando, Ueberschall Elastik, Ableton Live's Simpler & Sampler, FL Studio's DirectWave.
    And there are also Drumsamplers like Toontrack's EZ-, Superior-drummer, XLN Audio's Addicted Drums etc.

Rompler: I only know ReFX Nexus :D

Synthesizer (Synths): NI Massive and 1.000.000. others :))

*yes*

9. D3Viking

D3Viking Newbie

Hey guys thank you very much!! I really appreciated all these answers and i checked the links, so i saw there's a huge amount of infos to deal with (a parallel universe i'd say :keys:) so i think i will try to go through everything step by step and ask questions along the ride.
    Thank again, really! :wink: