$10,000 - $15,000 Budget | What Should I Get for Studio?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Loop Threat, Aug 18, 2015.

1. xsze

xsze Guest

Why not buying older Mac Pro, like dunno, refurbished or second hand 12 core 2012 or something? :mates:

2. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

That's fine with me also Xsze! Might even allow him to buy another one of those "options" I listed (synth, hardware, etc..) :wink:. Could be a good idea if he's up for it.

3. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

[​IMG]

4. xsze

xsze Guest

[​IMG]

5. hannibalflynt

hannibalflynt Kapellmeister

Monitor PSI Audio A25M + Sub A225M + A good Converto DA like Dangerous Music The Source = 15000 perfect

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. joem

joem Producer

7. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

i also am Waiting on Some Settlement Money i am Planing on Spending about $20,000 also My Money is Going to Buy a New Black Beauty 8 core Mac Pro a 20 terabyte thunderbolt storage cube and a Waves Digigrid ios audio interface i would have went with a Apollo but the UAD Plugins are to expensive to Buy.. and i mite get a Samsung NX1 Camera for 4K Music videos i can charge at least $500 for a simple music video in my town

8. joem

joem Producer

my rigs faster and way less money :bleh:

9. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

Like it or Not if you Want Stability and you Want High end Clients... and you want Your Clients to take you seriously You Need to Go Mac because if you Get a Big Project and in the middle of it you Computer Crashes or Lose data some how and you got Payed you Client #1 is going to be pissed off because all the Hard work is Gone #2 He is Going to want his Money Back #3 Your Reputation is going to be Crap :woot:

10. dim_triad

dim_triad Producer

good God, if you have to ask that question you should NOT spend any of it!!.. try everything you can on "the Z" for like a year, or at least 6 months maybe...

if hardware is what you want, again... you must not know what you really want if you need to ask... and please do not take this as a put-down by any means... take it from an addictive personality who spent SHITe loads on stuff, then ended up selling a lot of it to get stuff I realized I really wanted down the road... I know what its like to have money burnin a hole in me pocket.

Please hold on to it and do ass loads of research online... reviews, discussion boards etc... well, obviously it helps to ask real-life humans in person too, where ever you might come across those that are into what your into.

Try stuff on "the Z", figure out what you like, and purchase hardware that resembles the software... if applicable of course.

Good luck mate :D

11. Kaylix

Kaylix Ultrasonic

Projects, even big ones can be backed up on PC. Personally I have not had a crash on my PC (except from user error).

12. joem

joem Producer

ive never had any single pc crash on me at all ever. plus i can do way more stuff with my pc i can play games in 4k edit video ion 4k and make music. Plus it do not look like something ill piss in to on a Friday night drunk.

13. Slider

Slider Producer

Congrats on your upcoming windfall, wish I had $10K-$15K to upgrade some things...but I digress! The most difficult part in answering your question is I know nothing about you. Things like currently owned hardware, software, and skill level would factor in to any specific recommendations. Many excellent suggestions have already been given so I'll throw out several general thoughts.

Be patient, don't let that money burn a hole in your pocket. Carefully assess your needs, not just your wants, to accomplish your goals. 10K-15K is not really that much money in the big scheme of things so do your research and be smart about your decisions. Be frugal without being "cheap", the latest and greatest hi-end whatever may be overkill for what you are doing. While maybe not as sexy as that new piece of hardware or plugins, some professional education might be the best bang for the buck you could invest in.

Whatever you do, good luck and I wish you success!

14. ShadowOfTheZ

ShadowOfTheZ Ultrasonic

I read everything including the guy who wants PSI Audio monitors and the other one tagging $1500 condenser mic as number 3 priority...

Well, my piece of advice: don't become a gear addict

Great music has been produced in the past with monitors like yamaha NS10, mics like shure SM7B, etc etc.

Don't buy into the hype of Neumanns and other Apples. These companies are really good to sell you a mic mount for $300 which is hardly worth $50.

The same applies for stock plug-ins. In a DAW like Logic, you are pretty much covered, and you can get a few things later that you REALLY need.

Listen to your ears, try some stuff, and make good music!

Buy some stuff to improve acoustics in your room.
    Buy some monitors not because of the marketing of a brand but because they are good tools to mix.
    http://ehomerecordingstudio.com/best-studio-monitors/
    http://www.attackmagazine.com/features/ten-best-nearfield-studio-monitors/
    Don't spend too much, it's their margin. The $2000 price tag for two monitors seems reasonable. If you have a little more, you can get Focals like these websites recommend and which I also think, are the Yamaha NS10s of today, especially in the States.
    For mic, you can get professional result at home with a top dynamic mic and RX4 to declick, denoise, etc. I have actually tested 3 good dynamics compared to Neumann U87, which is the reference but is priced for gear addicts. With RX4 matching microphone and ambience algorithm, I have transformed dynamic recordings into U87 recording, and some well-trained sound people have not been able to make the difference accurately. If you have the money, get the U87. If you want to sound professional but you're not rich / audiophile / gear-addict / brand-fanboy, you really don't need that.

Same applies for computer.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. xHitoKiri

xHitoKiri Member

^

I would drop 1k-2k on a top of the line computer if i plan to keep for a long time or 1k + 1k on computer + laptop.

Drop some money on amazing pair of monitor stereo 2k-4k (Depends on you)

Spend 1k on fixing the room

Spend 1k-3k on mic(s) + audio interface + controllers

Save money while trying some of the DAW "available". or buy the one you already had in mind + vsti 1k-2k

-------------
    2k + 3k + 1k +2k +1.5k = 9.5k (Average cost the 2k-4k / 1-3k / 1-2k)

You can have 500- 5k save for hardware, software, or rent.

Obviously it all depends on how much your willing to spend on each category. Also, the need of each item. Maybe you got a good interface + controllers + mics.. so you can just save that.

16. tshffl

tshffl Member

1. Room Treatment
    2. ATC (SCM45 A Pro:disco:), PSI, PMC or Amphion Two18 + Subs.
    3. HQ DA Converter or UAD Apollo Blackface

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  17. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Because that would be a bad investment in 3-5 year he wont be able to upgrade it or install new software etc etc thats apple shitty philosophy that you have to upgrade a very powerful computer every 5 (or even better for them 3 year) or so for shitload of cash and the computer is not worth half of what you pay for even second hand.
    When you can let someone build (or even better build one yourself) a much more powerful for less then half the price and still be able to upgrade it after 10 nyears or even more fuck apple

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  18. reggiejaxx

reggiejaxx Member

1. LATEST OR AT LEAST 2013 27" IMAC AND SECOND DISPLAY COULD BE ANY DECENT MONITOR NOT "APPLE"
    2.UAD APOLLO TWIN SOUND CARD OR APOGEE DUET
    3. AKG 414 MIC AND DECENT POP SHEILD AND MAYBE CAD STAND MOUNTED ACOUSTIC ENCLOSURE, DECENT MONITORING HEADPHONES (COMFORTABLE)
    4.PAIR ADAMS A7X AUDIO MONITORS BUT IF JUST WRITING AND RECORDING AND GONNA MIX ELSEWHERE THEN GO MAYBE RCF OR KRK (VXT) MONITORS, NOT TOO BIG YOUR NEIGHBOURS ARE GONNA HATE YOU 5" TO 7" ARE GOOD ENOUGH
    5.LOGIC PRO X AND OR ABLETON LIVE 9"
    6.NATIVE INSTRUMENTS KOMPLETE 10 (ULTIMATE NOT NECESSARY) AND MAYBE CHECK OUT FABFILTER,STILLWELL AND TOP FREE AUDIO PLUGS SEARCH ON GOOGLE,BUT THE LOGIC AND ABLETON STOCK PLUGS NOT TO MENTION WHAT COMES WITH UAD APPOLLO TWIN AND APOGEE SHOULD HAVE YOU COVERED
    7.OPTIONAL MASCHINE STUDIO OR MK2 AND A DECENT MIDI KEYBOARD TRY EVEN AKAI ADVANCED IF YOU WANT TO USE YOUR MOUSE LESS AND HAVE A MORE HANDS ON APPROACH .

19. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

• Room Treatment <--- very important
    • High Quality Monitor Speakers, probably even a Sub Bass, depends on your Room Size
    • Computer (be aware that If you like to use Presonus Studio One OS X might be less stable than Windows, heck even Logic X is not 100% stable)
    • Audio Interface
    • Masterkeyboard
    • Controller
    • Software

20. xsze

xsze Guest

Could be, I remember that you had bad investment buying older Mac that were covered by Apple just till 10.7.5, but for last 3 versions of OS (and announced future one) most of 2007/08 things are supported still and I think 2012 ones will be next 5 years and more, but anything is possible really.

Agree, but I don't think you can upgrade much after 10 years, things change (sockets for example), so you again need to go with current mobo that support what is current, agree in general with building machine, but I don't think machine can last that long and don't be affected by current market and situation.