$10,000 - $15,000 Budget | What Should I Get for Studio?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Loop Threat, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Loop Threat

Loop Threat Ultrasonic

I may be awarded $10,000 - $15,000 in a closing case issue from work (more likely than not). I want to focus these funds on the building of a home studio. With that budget line, what would you recommend as a setup? Although sound is sound my musical focus will be urban music (rap/club). I have my own ideas, just wanted to what others say in case I've missed something.

3. First things first. Congratulations on winning your case. (1) What are the dimensions of your room and will it be free standing or attached to another building? (2) Kit is the next set of variables, i.e. what do you already own and are happy with and what do you think you need or want. This is exciting and a great opportunity, wow.

4. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

better focus that on black jack and hookers!
    [​IMG]

jk... :rofl:
    you can get really nice stuff with that... but first be patient:excl: start with essentials...
    -room treatment
    -PC/MAC
    -DAW
    -sound card
    -monitors
    -midi controller/keybords

after that, start buying what you actually use all the time and make best of it! (hardware, samples, VST/VSTi-s, etc...)

...and that will be >>MY<< way... :grooves:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. mewoingtons

mewoingtons Producer

I'd grab an analog synth or two if I were you, maybe even a modular rig.
    But a supercomputer first.

6. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

A strongbox... :drummer::chilling:

7. monochrom3

monochrom3 Ultrasonic

Most definitely! Having a dedicated music production PC can be a big timesaver. Get a nice fast CPU, an SSD for OS / DAWs, and maybe a nice little UAD card :) And if I had that kind of money I'd probably buy a Minimoog :D

8. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Good PC + VST/VSTi plugins + DAW(s) + Editors + Prestes libraries + Samples + ASIO4ALL latest + other software for audio, drivers like jbridge etc.
    Room Treatment
    Audio/MIDI interface (sound card with good AD/DA converters)
    Hardware Synths (ex., Arturia Minibrute, Waldorf Pulse2, Access Virus TI, Korg MS20 Mini, Moog, Roland, maybe something Vintage) + Drum Machines (Originals)
    Monitors
    Top Headphones
    MIDI keyboard 49 keys and more + MIDI controllers
    maybe UAD-2 Quad
    Microphone + Preamp
    High-Quality wires/commutation

9. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Stay away from the Nexus2 Bundle and Waves Mercury bundle and you can easily afford what nOxin said with that money, and make infinitely better music. :lmao:
    Get what he suggested, and build upwards from there.
    Maybe even buy an Access Virus TI2. Now THAT is a gorgeous sounding keyboard. :thumbsup: :cool:
    Best of luck, mate! And congratulations. :wink: :boombox:

10. samsome

samsome Guest

go for holidays......try come up with a good song, go and record it at a proper recording studio :D

11. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Half-a-dozen hookers and the finest coke you can get your hands on :crazy:

It will make for a great chapter in your book when you finally become famous :rofl:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. samsome

samsome Guest

now we're talking

13. tidus1990

tidus1990 Producer

I would go for 1. Good Computer mac/windows 2. Room Treatment 4. High Quality Sound Card 3. High Quality Studio Monitors 4. Midi Keyboard/Controllers 5. Sofware 6. Analog stuff that you think youll like

14. mewoingtons

mewoingtons Producer

Moog for the win, hell yeah!

15. xsze

xsze Guest

Most important thing is the room treatment, if you are planning on recording singers, with vocal booth.
    Good near fields with sub (EVE, Neumann KH...)
    Decent hardware, sound card (RME that fits your needs), MIDI controller (Roland A-800 Pro) or even Native Instruments Maschine, Mic (Shure Beta 58, Rode NT3 and etc..), cans if you want (AKG K702) and for booth if needed...
    If you are by any chance going to use Logic, than get some refurbished Mac, if not, than build yourself decent PC, don't spend too much here, 1500 max.
    Don't spend fortune on software, buy your DAW, Native Instruments Komplete, than go smart with some really essential bang for the bucks in effects department (look more at developers like Klanghelm and into freebies, really don't get hooked up on software)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2015
  16. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Analog synths are not crucial these days, only if you buy them for personal passion, but that's more of a subjective matter.
    What he essentially needs is more important than that. Take in consideration that the combo between analog synths + strong pc it's kinda irelevant, because analog synths can run on a mid-end computer too. After-all you record them through the inputs of the soundcard. There's not much strain on the CPU rather than just the ultra-low latency needs.

@OP:

If i were you, i'd start first with "THE EARS" and the room. If you want your mixes to sound to everyone else the way it sounds to you and also to have fun in the production/mixing process without ears fatigue and also to be able to work accurately even on the low levels protecting your ears, i would buy a really great pair of studio monitors, such as the passive (Yes, passive!) finland-made Amphion One18 http://www.zenproaudio.com/amphion-one18 they're 3000$ a pair + 1300$ the Amp100 dedicated amplifier which they sell it "suitable-ready" for the monitors. Even Marroquin replaced his monitors with some of these. Amphion monitors are new on the market and the people who owns them calls them "the NS10 with a sweet sound". Other people would suggest you "you'd better listen to them yourself in the store", but in that high-end price range.. "taste" is no longer relevant. The "listen yourself in store" is needed when we talk about entry-level / mid-level studio monitors. People even replaced their V2 Barefoots or Genelecs with these babies.

So kickass Studio Monitors + monitors stands + mopads + room treatment may get you up to a 6000$ cost.
    Add 500$ into an ergonomic chair, because you'll spend a lot of time in the front of your desk and you don't wanna mess with back pain in the next 10 years or less. Also comfort will ease your mind too.

That's 6500$,

+ a new PC build which you can invest up to 1500$ and you'll have a tighter performance/cost ratio than you would buy a Mac Pro. (now it's up to your taste).

+ 1 ultra-wide LED monitor such as the Asus AH-IPS 29" which is 2560 x 1080 and is really great for daw work, should be around 300-350$.

+ 1 back-up NAT system such as Network Storage Synology DS713+ which is around 600-700$ + 300$ 2 4TB hard drive or so = 1000$

+ 1 UPS battery like the Legrand Niky Tower which is around 250$.

+ 1 good audio interface like the SPL Crimson = 800$

+ some great Neutrik/Vovox/Cordial/Mogami cables for your monitors and microphone = 250$

+ 1 great condenser mic like the Lauten Audio Atlantis FC-387 = 1500$

+ 1 midi keyboard = around 200-300$

+ 1 studio desk (custom or not) which can go up to 800$.

This is around +/- 12.200$

If you really can go up to 15.000$ then spend 2000$ on plugins and 800-1000$ keep it for future maintenance.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

pretty pricey pc build, care to break down the components ?

I wanna build a desktop workstation, but beyond an i7 - 4790K, and a quiet corsair fan
    haven't really decided

was hoping could build something powerful enough for a home set up that would
    hold up for a few years, less than $1000

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2015
  18. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Might I suggest a small donation to your favorite audio community coupled with a purchase of our forum album (only $10 including shipping and comes with approximately 8 unreleased gifts)? For your information, I'm currently reviewing our options and soon we'll have a donation system for anyone that would like to support us. Thanks for your time.:shalom:

• Like x 6
    • Love it! x 3
    • Creative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • List
  19. Loop Threat

Loop Threat Ultrasonic

THANKS ALL !!!!

Thanks all for such outstanding answers...I'm in the process of moving so I don't know what my next 'crib' will look like...most likely a studio apartment or 1 bedroom apartment. I'm still reading the replies and certainly will make notes !!!!

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  20. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

that's an idea whose time has come :wink:

will you accept paysafecard?

21. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Well, just wanted to come up with a safe "amount" to cover up the other stuff like keyboard/mouse/silent case/silent fans/etc. :dunno: