1 or 2 SSD's for sound libraries? Drive load etc

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by anon69, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

2. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

I just bought the 4TB 870 Evo for sample libs. Works like a charm. OS and Apps are on a 1TB 970 Evo Plus.

3. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

While my needs are different being size due to the sheer volume of libraries, I agree for under 2TB an SSD every time.
    With my needs, I have 3x 7200RPM 8TB Iron wolf HDD's . Sure, I'd LOVE them to be SSD, but that kind of investment outweighs buying six of them with three as a backup system.
    3x 8TB SSD's are in the $3,000 mark, so a little out of my price range :facepalm:- I can get 6x Iron wolf HDD's for way less.

4. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

hehe, you cant have all. either you can easily access volumes from different computers at the same time, or it is fast.

5. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Except, you can. Two PCs, a 10GbE card in each, a 10GbE switch and you have a 1200MB/s link between two computers, which should be enough for 2 SATA SSDs going at full speed. Way cheap
    This is because anything above 2TB SSDs is server-grade stuff. SSDs for "normal people" end at 2TB, and this is what you should pile up instead. If you're out of SATA ports, what you need is a HBA card over PCIe.

6. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

I'm not at all out I have four left (8 total) 4x 8TB Iron wolf HDD's and an nVme SSD boot.

7. m.sarti

m.sarti Producer

The only "load" to consider, if you're using SSD, is that of the USB ports, assuming that you are connecting the SSD via USB - in which case, you should have the USB 3.1 rev. 2, which is fast enough from which to run an OS without hiccups - and of your computer's processor with software running.

I myself had never had a problem with using a 7200RPM Firewire 800 HDD for Kontakt libraries, but I upgraded anyway to an SSD for them. I have Kontakt clear the samples cache; that helps a lot. If you're not writing to the same volume as from which you're reading, all is good.

I keep sample libraries and other software that I don't want to lose backed-up on HDDs, from which one can recover data. Once stuff is deleted from an SSD, it's gone.