Mixing room acoustics

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by samsome, Jan 7, 2016.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

Ok so lets say I did everything I could to make my room acoustically treated.

Now, how do i check if the sound i'm getting is reliable?

is there a software or something to analyze how far off i am from the best possible result?

3. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

You can check with your DAW and a high quality omnidirectional microphone.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

I use arc2, It works great. You won't believe how clear and accurate your monitors can sound. I use it in a separate vst host rigged for use on all the computer audio.

5. ned944

ned944 Moderator

@Burninstar do you have a legit copy and use the mic that came with it or are using a non-legit and like a behringer mic?

6. AwDee.0

AwDee.0 Kapellmeister

arc2, fuzzmeasure, room eq wizard and you need that behringer mic as well 50 bux. the "reference" plugin for headphones is a good investment too!

7. Burninstar

Using a Dayton calibrated measurement mic, omnidirectional. Bought online, comes with that particular mics individual frequency response curve (pretty flat). I think any measurement mic within a few db of a flat response should be very usable. I don't think the legit ARC mics are much different than the other measurement mics used by everyone else.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. samsome

samsome Guest

thank you guys!

9. samsome

samsome Guest

sorry whats the difference between fuzzmeasure and room eq wizard? aren't they doing same thing?

10. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

REQ wizard is a free software, Fuzz Measure paid, it has a nicer GUI and more functions. REQ wizard has a large user community, Fuzz Measure' support is mainly through the company, I believe.
    I guess you should've measured before treating your room, in order to know what needs to be treated. Not just after the fact!
    ARC applies a correcting curve to your sound, but it can't make a bad room sound good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. JST

JST Ultrasonic

Use Your Ears. I know that's too simple, for all the audiophiles. So waste all your time first, then Use Your Ears.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. Burninstar

ARC2 will not only fix your frequency response, it will also align phase works great on subs.
    All these applications modify the sound coming from your speakers to correct for room coloration, allowing you to hear an accurate (flat) response.
    Most Pro Studios do this that is why they all sound basically the same (flat).
    Mixing with un-tuned monitor systems is like playing your instrument out of tune, only your ears cant fix it because every room will make your monitors sound different.

13. JST

JST Ultrasonic

You sir, do not know what you are talking about.

If you are using near field monitors, you don't need to do anything. That's the truth. Go ahead and waste your time with software solutions. Guess what? They do more harm than good.

14. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

REQ is great.
    You can enter the results into an eq on your pc to correct your system audio, but that doesn't correct your audio in your daw if you're using asio drivers.
    In that case you can use pro-q2 on the master and enter all the measurements there.
    Works like a charm and can make all the difference.

15. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Personally, I "EQ and deverberate my room" with absorbers, basstraps, diffusers and Helmholtz resonators instead of altering the master EQ (on my already near flat Egg150 monitors) with software.
    Maybe I've done it wrong all along. :)

REW is great! Especially for being freeware and having such large community.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

My room resonates like hell and I'm not going to treat it acoustically myself, I really know the limits of my expertise :)
    and frankly I haven't generated enough income with my music yet to justify the expense of a professional treatment.
    A software solution is ok enough for me to come to satisfactory results.
    So maybe you've done it wrong @Baxter , maybe you haven't - really not our cup of tea to judge.

@JST I think you're confusing near field monitors with headphones.

17. JST

JST Ultrasonic

Near field monitors do not require any tuning, or room treatment. That is how and why they were developed. That's a fact jack.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  18. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Haha, I know for a fact that burninstar has much professional experience as an engineer and thousands of hours of studio experience-recording and teaching. You know what they say about opinions. What are your qualifications? The reverberation of the room around me when listening to near fields still has a psycho-acoustic effect no matter how many db below the level I'm listening to is is. Otherwise, near fields would sound the same in a small dead space as they do in my living room, even if the distance from my ears is the same. Do I trust my ears? Yes. Can I use tools like frequency analysis and treatment to help me understand what is going on? My ears say yes.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

why do different brands sound different? Which one is "accurate". Why does an RTA on the same monitors look different in one environment than in another? A combination of acoustic treatment and digital correction seems to be best. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may15/articles/spotlight-0515.htm Fact-near field monitors are designed to give your more signal compared to outside influences on what you hear, and most do just that. Fact-no tool, including transducers, is perfect for every job. Near field studio monitors need adjustments in EQ and I'm more likely to trust James B. Lansing.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

frequency analysts ok, but adding something else to my speaker out is a nono