Can a Track be outdated?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Peter Krav, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Peter Krav

Peter Krav Producer

Hi, everyone! i recently sent a demo to a Trance label, I got a response that my track was outdated and they could not decide what to do with it and they dold me to send them another 1 demo! Is it possible that a Trance track can be outdated? Here is an example of my another project: Its an example it's not the track that i sent to the label! No mix, no master, but you'll get the point! So what is outdated here? Keep in mind that sounds will change in the mixing...Can anyone explain to me how is it possible? Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

The production/mixing/sound can ofc be outdated.

But a great song/track will always be timeless.

Try modern sample selection, better mixing, layering, modern processing/optimization, etc.
    Personally, that kick sounds from the late 90's and the snare sounds really tired.

4. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Best Answer
    Disclaimer: I am not listening to trance music, but I am quite good with house, tech house and some flavors of techno and at this point all electronic music works in the same manner.

That is only if the song does not use those "used and abused and obsolete" sounds or techniques belonging to that genre. Some sounds become staple and are the very core of the genre but some sounds become obsolete. Nasty thing is we have to permanently observe the market in order to find out which is which.

Yes, definitely.

Let me give you an example in tech house: At a certain point the transitions were made mostly using the classic white noise filter sweep. Then people got really bored and start using straight unfiltered white noise - very brutal, very "edgy" when compared with old sweep. So when producers started to use unfiltered white noise, any production lacking that type of transition was "not belonging" anymore.

Another example: there are certain Techno labels which favour a specific sound in cymbals and hihats, consisting in less transients - so a sort of "brushy" sound. If one can't get that sound, the label will trash it.

Another example in future house: one can rarely hear arps anymore, their place is now taken by vocal chops.

What you can do:
    You have to carefully listen 2015 songs, 2016 and 2017's representative trance songs and see what's in and what's out: kick, snare, FX, buildup techniques, arps, melodies, bass. After you have these common elements sorted out, you can build your own "kit" with today's sounds. Then pay the same attention in the months to come, changes are often at least 2 times per year (summer season and winter season).

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. foster911

foster911 Guest

What's your prescription for the year 2018? TBH, I'm the only honoree for "The 2018 FIFA World Cup" in Russia as a big house DJ and cry out for some new production tips.:bleh:

6. BENZZER

BENZZER Ultrasonic

lol just listen to some 2010 "dubstep" tunes. They sound OLD ASF

7. foster911

foster911 Guest

The most stupid technique I've ever heard. Pitched vocals are trash. They're garbage. I hate it. Really I'm gonna murder any stupid person invented those junks.

8. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

This technique originates in the early 1990s when samplers were used on... anything. Given the lack of FX, loading vocal chops in a sampler was a good alternative for new original sounds. Problem was that a sampler could hold about 10 seconds of 12-bit audio and chopping (aka trying to cue the exact starting point from tape and recording into the sampler) took an entire day. People did pushed the technology to the max on those times.

Then we have foster that will murder musicians that could make with a tape, a sampler and a 2-channel mixer more songs than foster will do on his daw of choice for the rest of his life.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

Please take no offense, but every element of this sounds kinda old, in terms of pop music. It would have sounded cool and cutting-edge 20 years ago, but trends have left this style far behind. That's not to say that it's not enjoyable to listen to, but there's nothing new, novel, nor "now" about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Yes, but here's another/related issue. If you never get tired of listening to a song, it's a good song.

11. saltwater

saltwater Guest

what they mean by outdated is: no money
    dont get me wrong but this example is not on the level it should be, but i get the point.

in my opinion this is the best thing human kind has ever come up with, this has nothing to do with the rest of EDM and works in a completely different way, there is still a scene thats actually regrowing again.

my opinion: fuck em !

stay on your path, refine your skills, this stuff is really hard to do properly
    try other labels or even create one yourself, today there is place for everything.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Is this a rhetorical question? Anyway the answer is YES! Without going deep into psychosomatic details I would suggest that you listen to the production of "top trance djs" like Armin and Tiesto now and 10-15 years ago. Does it sound even remotely the same? If I only listened to the music I wouldn't even say they are the same artists. Trying desperately to incorporate chainsmokers, garrix,.. vocalists. Well, whatever goes (and yes, that "featuring xy" is popular too) in to something that mildly reminds the raw trance sound.. Just follow the lead. That is, if you want to seal the deal...

Edit: to be clear, I'm not talking what I'd do - you should know if there is a price that would make you bend over. Just answering your Q

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    • List
  13. Peter Krav

Peter Krav Producer

This Reply is for Saltwater! Yes, this is not on the level cuz this is an example of the style of music that i am producing not for the track itself! the Trance i sent was a complete finished Song! By the way PLEASE how can i reply to a specific person? Without pushing something stupid!

14. Peter Krav

Peter Krav Producer

Matt777 Yes i am listening only to those DJs you mentioned and not my question is not rhetorical

15. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Just start writing the nickname with "@" in front like @Peter Krav
    ..or you can mark some text from a person to which you want to reply and press the orange Reply like I did with you post
    I didn't mean to sound harsh, so I'm sorry if it looked that way.. It's just the way music industry works. If you listen to those producers you should notice the difference between e.g. Tiesto's "Flight 643" and the music that he puts out in recent years..

16. Peter Krav

Peter Krav Producer

How can i reply to specific
    Thank you Matt777 for your help and your answer.

17. Peter Krav

Peter Krav Producer

i don't think the money is a problem for them Thank you for your kind words!!!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  18. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Well seems like this is possible only with trance music.
    House music in this case is more...ummm... stable?

24 years later

Try some classic trance lables.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. foster911

foster911 Guest

If you feel a wanderlust inside you, just pick a destination from this chart and go overseas for 6 months with your only track. After 6 months you'd be acknowledged as a super producer there. Then come back to your homeland with lots of money and give up music profession and set up your own business with plenty of chicks in it.
    https://audiosex.pro/threads/accord...r-score-is-under-10-you-naturally-suck.30171/
    I suggest Deutschland (A.K.A Cubase-Land) as your destination. That country also will turn you to an over-confident person that you need in your new business.:bleh:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2017
  20. saltwater

saltwater Guest

yes i understood that already before :) you explained it perfectly in your first post.

what you do sounds "above" AVB or Tiesto for me

21. Peter Krav

Peter Krav Producer

i changed the link, you were right no one could understand the true potential of the track i am sorry it was my first day! i am such a noob!